Thursday, February 3, 2011

Caring Sucks

The world, or at least, human society, is not doing very well.

I don't pretend to know everything about this - I only stopped being apathetic about a year and a half ago myself.  And I am certain that I am the minority.

Most people don't care about poverty, racism, sexism, inequality, homophobia, the environment, human rights, diseases, education....  Or they pretend to and don't do anything; "It wouldn't make a difference anyway".  They create a barrier and distance themselves from the thought of global issues, figuring that they are 'someone else's' problem, that the government or 'some kind soul' will do their share of the caring and work.

I digress.

Once you are a part of the caring minority, the people who see these problems and are angered and saddened by them and wish to do something, what CAN you do?

Again, I am only new to these horrible, worldwide, disgusting, taken-as-the-norm, things.  And what have I done then?  Well, last year I:
  • went vegan
  • contributed US$363.89 to Kiva (24 loans)
  • gave $240 to the Wilderness Society
  • gave $50 to Oxfam
  • gave $105.60 to Uproar
  • gave $11.50 to Movember
  • signed numerous petitions and wrote numerous emails
  • changed what I'm studying
  • tried to educate myself further
(Note: The total, ~$767, is about 15% of my income after I pay my rent, or 6.4% before I pay rent - More than the Australian Government gives in aid (0.34%)!)

And yet.

And yet I feel that I am not doing enough.  I KNOW that I am not doing enough (otherwise the world would be fixed, right?).  This eats away at me every day.

So, in my long-winded way, I am asking for your help.  I want advice.  How do YOU deal with these feelings of guilt?  What do YOU do to improve the world?

Or do you not even care?

No comments:

Post a Comment