Saturday, January 22, 2011

I am able to look after myself

As soon as someone says that you're looking a little thin or fat or whatever, they are implying (even if they don't realise it) that you are unable to look after yourself.

I've often been accused of being thin by family (not that they cared when I was fat even though there are more health problems).  It's not a nice thing, to be told to eat more. Would you like to take over my life?  Are you a doctor?  A nutritionist?  A nurse?  Are you in any way, shape or form, qualified to make that judgement?

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2004/01/15/1835482.htm

I guess they're just comparing me to the obese masses of this country but I still find it insulting.  I've maintained the same weight for nearly 5 years and have been told I'm healthy by two different doctors, so please stop telling me what to do, I am 21 and quite capable of looking after myself.

I'm not going to ignore the fact that yes, I am going to be influenced by all the crap that television and billboards (etc) shove down my throat about the perfect body.  But I think the fact that I am healthy shows I have a brain and can use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment